The Wenchi High Court hearing the 2020 Techiman South election petition has slapped NDC Parliamentary candidate, Christopher Beyere Baasongti, with a punitive fine of Gh¢4,000.
The petitioner on Tuesday requested to make corrections to the figures in his petition from Martin Korsah – 50,013, Chris Beyere – 50,306, to Martin Korsah – 50,118, Chris Beyere – 50,376.
The court despite granting him the request to amend figures in his filed motions, fined the petitioner for inconveniencing the respondent, MP for Techiman South Martin Adjei-Mensah Korsah.
Counsel for the petitioner, Justin Pwavra Teriwajah, during the sitting for Case Management Conference (CMC) on June 1, 2021, sort leave of court to file the following motions:
1. Motion on Notice for leave to file and serve Supplementary Witness Statement
2. Motion on Notice for an order setting down main issue for preliminary determination
3. Motion on Notice for appointment of court Expert and for Discovery and Inspection of Pink Sheets
4. Motion on Notice for leave to amend Parliamentary Election Petition
5. Motion on Notice for appointment of Court Expert on Handwriting.
Although his request falls in his right and as such granted, Judge Justice Frederick A.W.K Nawurah today, noted that he could only rule on the motion to amend the Parliamentary election petition.
This, he said was because although the petitioner served the motions on June 4, the Registry furnished him with same together with the Respondents responses June 17.
Meanwhile, the case has been adjourned to June 30, 2021.